Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sorry Belmont...I was trying!!!

Most people who know me, know that I LOVE where I went to college. Belmont University, here in Nashville gave me 4 of the best years of my life so far. Because I had such a great experience (and because I've never met a stranger) I have dubbed myself an unofficial ambassador to the school whenever I come across a young person and their parents debating over whether to go there or not. This happened today...sort of.

A daughter, mother, and grandmother were all shopping in the store today, when I overheard them discussing what to wear for the Campus Tour in the morning. Partly because it's my job to help pick out the perfect outfit and partly because I wanted to find out the school, I headed over and asked. To my happiness, the tour was of Belmont!
"Where are you from," I asked.
"Little Rock," says Mom.
"What are you coming here in hopes of Studying?"
"Commercial Voice," says the daughter
"How cool! That's what I majored in," I replied.

I then went on, helping them choose a ton of potential outfits and headed off to the fitting rooms together. As daughter was trying on, I was majorly singing the praises of Belmont to Mom and Grandma...telling them ALL about what a wonderful place it was, all of the things to do, how great the teachers were, etc.

Mom interjects and asks: "Did you go to school with any famous people??"
Seriously?? (I think in my head) but aloud say..."Well I was friends with Josh Turner, and a good friend of mine sings BGV's for Carrie Underwood on her specials..."
Mom: "Ohhhh....he's that guy that sings Long Black Train..."

Seriously people!! It's Nashville. You see a famous person on every street corner! Can we talk about Belmont here?!?! I am finally able to get them back on track, and thinking about their daughters future...and we start talking about class size etc.

All is going well until Grandma utters her 1st sentence of the day: "So how are YOU using your voice degree?" OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

Caught off guard...my response was..."ME?! Oh absolutely nothing!! I changed that major 1st semester of my Sophomore year!!"

Oops....Their faces said it all...that was Not quite the answer they were expecting. I think they wanted me to say that I manage my store in my spare time, while singing in bars 7 nights a week or something cliche' like that. But honey...that ain't happenin' Needless to say, they wrapped up their shopping trip fairly quickly and headed out the door.

So the moral of the story is 1.) Come to Belmont for the kick-ass college experience, NOT because you think it's gonna make you a country star, and 2.) Don't try to relate to someone who is about to start something you quit doing years ago!! HA!

Hope I didn't lose you a recruit ole' BU. Go Bruins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment