Monday, May 3, 2010

Flooding update









Yesterday I was struggling to find the words to describe the flooding. Today I am just in awe. And devastated. And even if I could find the words...they wouldn't do it justice. So I've decided to use pictures instead. Hopefully these will do a better job of describing how we look and feel. The bottom photos are before and after photos of The Opryland Hotel. The several thousand guests staying there were quickly evacuated last night and are staying in nearby McGavoc High School. The hotel announced today it is no longer accepting future reservations and is closed indefinitely. The next is of 2nd Avenue. Or what once WAS Second Avenue. The Wildhorse Salon and all of those other businesses. Completely underwater. The parking garage in Vanderbilt Hospital and then another shot of downtown along with 2 people struggling to stay alive as water rushes around them.


These are just a few of the photos I have had the misfortune of seeing online and watching on the news. Early yesterday, before the Cumberland River crested. Roomie #1 and I drove downtown. Riverfront park was covered in water, but the streets we still passable. Now...that shot of downtown...covered in water...is the same road we drove down just earlier yesterday. And the water is supposed to still rise for another day.

Those of you reading this, especially the ones who aren't able to see it firsthand. Please spread the word that we need help. Prayers, donations, support. Anything. Please contact Hands on Nashville or www.HON.org to find out what you can do. Mayor Karl Dean requests that all support go through this organization in order to work with FEMA and the National Government.

Or contact me directly. I run a clothing store and my employees and I are trying to figure out ways we can get/buy clothing for those who need it.

Once again...I'll keep you posted on the situation. Until then, never doubt the power of simple prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment